Submissions: open for the play issue!
Please note: We only accept work from authors who personally identify as being a part of the LGBTQ+ community. This doesn't mean we're going to look for 'proof,' but we say we are a queer zine and we'd like to remain honest.
Please note: We only accept poetry that is in blackout/erasure form. If you don't know what this is, please feel free to read some of our past issues. We think it'll give you a good idea of what we're looking for. Plus we think they're great.
Please note: We generally stick to the guidelines established in section 2 of American University's Center for Social Media's "Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Poetry". We've reproduced part of it below for your convenience.
Principle: Under fair use, a poet may make use of quotations from existing poetry, literary prose, and non-literary material, if these quotations are re-presented in poetic forms that add value through significant imaginative or intellectual transformation, whether direct or (as in the case of poetry-generating software) indirect.
- Mere exploitation of existing copyrighted material, including uses that are solely “decorative” or “entertaining,” should be avoided.
- Likewise, the mere application of computer technology does not, in itself, render quotation or re-use of an existing poem fair.
- If recognizable in the final product, quotations should be brief in relation to their sources, unless there is an articulable rationale for more extensive quotation.
- The poet should provide attribution in a conventionally appropriate form unless it would be truly impractical or artistically inappropriate to do so.
Please note: In order to be considered for publication, you must send information about the source of your poem(s).
How to submit: Please send a max. of 5 previously unpublished poems to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name followed by your preferred name in the subject line. We ask that you do not include bios or a cover letter (a short hello is fine and appreciated), but do expect to be asked for a short bio if your work is chosen for publication. DOC, JPEG, and PNG files are strongly preferred. Finally, our guidelines ask that you do not submit more than once per issue.
Simultaneous submissions: Of course they're accepted, but please e-mail us to withdraw pieces accepted elsewhere.
Please note: We retain First Serial Rights, and rights revert back to the author upon publication. We're still toying around with the possibility of creating yearly print anthologies, so if that happens we may ask for permission to reprint your work.
Response time: We try respond to every submission in less than 2 months but tend to respond much quicker than that. If you have not heard from us in 2 months, we ask that you send us an e-mail to check the status of your submission.
Final words: We are so incredibly grateful to be able to spend time with your work; thank you for trusting us with it.
- Submissions are open for now as we prepare Issue 3.
- Submit only if you're a LGBTQ+ writer.
- Blackout/erasure poems only.
- Changes from source should be significant.
- Must send poem source information.
- Max. of 5 poems per submission
- Send submissions to email@example.com.
- Include name [last name, first name] in e-mail subject bar.
- Do not include a bio or cover letter.
- DOC, JPEG, and PNG files strongly preferred.
- Submit only once per issue.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted.
- We respond within 2 months.